Sex-y Citrus Cake
SEX CAKE →
2 cups sugar
2 ⅔ cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup oil
1 ½ cups sex
½ cup yogurt
4 egg whites
1 ½ cups cream cheese (12 oz.)
1 ½ cups mascarpone (12 oz.)
1 ½ sticks room temperature butter (6 oz.)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
GRAPEFRUIT CURD (optional) ↓
2 cups sugar
⅓ cup cornstarch
1 cup grapefruit juice
1 ½ cups sex wine
Grapefruit zest (just from those juiced)
3 TBS room temperature butter
4 egg yolks
- Combine sugar and cornstarch; whisk together in quart sized saucepot.
- Add grapefruit juice and sex rosé. Whisk until just combined and then switch to a spatula.
- With the stove on low to medium heat, cook the sugar and juice mixture for about 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture becomes thicker and translucent, coating the back of a spoon. Make sure you do the spoon test (run a finger across the spoon and if the mixture runs it needs to cook longer.)
- Add butter and stir until combined.
- Whisk the eggs and yolks together until combined. Drizzle the hot mixture over the eggs slowly while whisking quickly in order to slowly cook the eggs without overcooking them. (temper).
- Add the mixture back to the pan and with the stove on low to medium heat, continue cooking and stirring frequently for another 5-10 minutes until the mixture becomes thickened again and once again passes the spoon test. I like to run mine through a mesh strainer to strain out the zest, but this is optional.
- Let cool overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, baking soda/powder, salt.
- Add vanilla, oil, sex wine, yogurt. Whisk together. 2 drops red food coloring optional.
- Whisk egg whites together and add to the batter. Fold in.
- Pour into lined cupcake pans or greased cake pans. Will fit x1 9×13, x2 9in rounds, x3 8in rounds or 24 cupcakes. Fill each cake layer pan about 1 – 1 ½ inches, each cupcake ⅔ full.
- Bake at 325 for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or cake is springy to the touch. Cupcakes will be 18-22 minutes.
- Let cake cool before taking out of pans and fully cool before frosting.
- Take room temperature butter, cream cheese and mascarpone and put into bowl. Can use a hand mixer or stand up.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and whip up until smooth, bumpless and fluffy. Can add more sugar if desired. 2 drops red food coloring optional.
YIELD: sex cake: x2 9in rounds, x3 8in rounds, x1 9×13 pan, 24 cupcakes. TIME: cupcakes 18-22 min cake 22-25 min 9×13 25-30 min 325 degrees
Grapefruit curd: 4 cups TIME: 20-30 min
Frosting: 6-8 cups TIME: 15-20 min